The onion (Allium cepa L., from Latin cepa "onion"), also known as the bulb onion or common onion, is a vegetable and is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Allium.
Red onion is a variety of bulb onion, ripens early autumn. It is very fleshy and crunchy. It is mostly eaten raw or used as an ingredient in salads. Its thin pink rings may decorate any dish. Red onion has a great amount of potassium which suppresses development and growth of bacteria. Due to considerable content of microelements magnesium, iron, sulfur, phosphorus, vitamins A, B, C and PP red onion is actively used in conventional and folk medicine for the treatment and prevention of various diseases. Let's look at the medicinal properties of red onion and its application in the treatment of various diseases.
The health benefits of red onion
- Components of onion reduce cholesterol, improve cell membranes of red blood cells, prevent heart disease.
- Red Onion increases bone mineral density and has a significant impact on women during menopause, reduces the risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
- Antioxidant content of red onion boosters the immune system and provides anti-inflammatory responses.
- Red onion reduces the risk of cancer. In order to have the desired effect it should be included in every day menu.
- Other advantages: fights bacteria, has an anti-toxic effect, stimulates hair growth, reduces blood sugar levels and fights diabetes.